What is Two-Way Language Immersion?
This program at Barbour gives students the gift of two languages.
Students who would benefit from the Two-Way Language Immersion program
Curious engaged learners
Resilient and dedicated
Appreciates other cultures
What makes the program unique?
- The only K-8 school where students learn to read, write and speak in English and Spanish.
Grades K-1: 90% Spanish and 10% English. English instruction increases in second grade.
Grades 3-8: 50% Spanish and 50% English
All grades: 100% English in art, music, PE & library
- Split Spanish and English heritage speakers allows for peer modeling and support.
- Opportunity to earn the Seal of Biliteracy and achieve college credits by taking the AP Spanish test.
- Prepares students for the global market.
How to apply
A kindergarten lottery is held January to early March. Students must pass a Spanish or English verbal assessment.
Complete an interest form to be put on a waitlist:
- Students entering grades K-1 can speak English and/or Spanish.
- Students entering grades 2-7 must speak both English and Spanish.